Monday, August 23, 2010

Sandakan Trip

This is how the people in Sandakan drink their cincau (grass jelly). with milk. delicious kan?
The wet market

Other than Sepilok, Bazaar Ramadhan and Seafood restaurant, the fun place I visited was the wet market. You must be thinking what kind of Idiot am I for enjoying a trip to the wet market. Honestly, I didnt really get to see very much of Sandakan because time was not aplenty on my host's side. She was very busy running her stall at bazaar ramadhan and I've already expected that, as I only came up to Sandakan to meet up with Amanda, Santi's family and getting a feel of Ramadhan there. Perhaps I can blog more on my next visit when it's not fasting month and we can get around easier. Besides, i really cant wait to meet up Er's son, Shahriez. she just gave birth few months back and I still havent got the chance to see the baby boy.


Back to the wet market... seriously, i did enjoy the trip. I bought lots of Udang Kering, bird's eyes chillies, Ikan bilis and much more. Stuffs like these are quite cheap at this market compared to those in semenanjung. Early in the morning, I do mean very early, like as early as 5am, there'll be fruit and veggies sold outside the wet market by the local villagers and pinoy immigrants. They sell seriously fresh stuffs at more seriously cheaper price. You can get a basket full of veggies enough to prepare 10 rounds of mixed veggie dish with only RM10. I swear.



That's a stuffed posteur of me at the harbour view restaurant, during merdeka night.


Eating out in Sandakan
Food in Sandakan is alot about seafood, Chinese cuisine, Philippines and Indonesian influences.

I assume the locals like their food grilled, steamed and boiled instead of fried, because that's what I often had over there. For fast food outlets, they only have KFC. And you can only find one mamak restaurant if I'm not mistaken.


I heard Lobster is also big here, but i never got the chance to consume them. here's a list of what i've tried.



  • BAKSO (flavourful chicken soup served with rice cubes or glass noodles, chicken bits and condiments such as peanuts and chilli sauce) at Pasar malam

  • COTO (peanut soup with beef and everything you can extract from a cow, served with rice cubes and special chilli sauce) at the ramadhan bazaar

  • Butter prawn rice

  • seafood steamboat buffet with lots of mudcrabs

  • seafood buffet at harbour restaurant with lots of grilled seafood

  • mudcrab cooked butter sauce style and a type of fish cooked in soy sauce at this one restaurant ( darn i cant remember the name)

Not that much, you wanna know why? coz it was fasting month and I only get to eat after berbuka. whatever I ate, nothing beats the best taste of MAMA SANTI's cooking! she cooks the best chicken korma that made me salivate just thinking about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment